Translate

5/20/11

Potato Cakes

Potato Cakes 'n Eggs Over Easy
This is REALLY old. Maybe it comes from our German heritage or not??? Don't know but I remember both of my Grandmothers as well as my own Mother making these and all of the men just love them. My husband loves them, to the point we had them for supper last night and he wanted them again this morning with eggs!! Which I must say turned out nicely.

I haven't in the past included just everyday menus but then maybe I should..... It seems so nothing to me but then it is what we grew up with. Unlike now when people in a lot of circumstances appear not to cook but to dive thru window......

So last night for supper I used about 4 cups of left over from the weekend mashed potatoes to make potato cakes and with it we had sauerkraut and wieners and cottage cheese with sliced tomatoes.
The tomato's I bought at the Newburgh Farmers Market Saturday morning were just OUT OF THIS WORLD GOOD. And with the rest of this old farmers supper Brian was one happy camper.

Here is how I make potato cakes:

4 C. cold mashed potato (usually left over)
1 large egg
4 green onions sliced thinly with the green tops
3 T. all purpose flour
1/2 t. kosher salt
1/4 t. black pepper
Beat all of these ingredients together until a smooth thick but creamy consistency results.

Heat a heavy bottomed skillet, cast iron is ideal, with about 3 T. vegetable oil until hot. Form potato mixture into cakes and place them in the hot oil about 4 at a time and fry until golden. Remove when browned on both sides to a paper towel lined plate to drain. I keep them warm in a 200 degree oven while I finish frying the balance. 

Today to reheat I placed the leftover cakes on a small baking sheet and placed them in a preheated 350 degree F. oven for 15 minutes prior to stating the eggs. 

Serve with over easy fried eggs and fresh sliced tomato for a lovely breakfast.

No comments: